Skip to main content

Manga: Bakuman

This post I re-read Bakuman, a semi-autobiographical manga about two boys trying to make it big in the manga industry, written by Tsugumi Obha and illustrated by Takeshi Obata.


Re-reading Bakuman was especially interesting for me because the first time I read it was early in high school when I was having big dreams and thinking about going into art school, and now that I'm reading it again, I'm a junior in illustration starting to actively look for jobs and internships. One part of Bakuman that I can especially relate to now is when Moritaka and Akito move from being the "big fish in a small pond" as the best creatives in their high school, to being a part of the "real world" art industry and having to make it among professionals. I was the best artist in my relatively small high school as well, and though it's easy to intellectually recognize that things will be harder in a larger art community, I think it's almost impossible to completely prepare yourself for the realities of being surrounded by daunting competition. 


Bakuman also does a great job showing how hard the professional world of manga (and of art in general) is even when you're finally getting successful and starting to "make it." Expectations are higher, you have to keep up the fast pace that let you become successful in the first place, and professional deadlines are often very short. This is another aspect of art that I am constantly experiencing now that was never present in high school--not sleeping, trying to meet deadlines when I can't see straight, and letting my health slip to get work done. Bakuman does a great job of showing these realities, and I'm very glad re-read it again to see it in a new light after having many of these experiences for myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

European Comics: Blacksad

Today I read the first book of  Blacksad , an edgy French comic written by Juan Diaz Canales and illustrated by Juanjo Guarnido. The   comics follow a panther detective through a series of anthropomorphic noir mysteries. I really enjoyed Blacksad . The story is a fairly standard mystery, but Blacksad's voice is engaging and authentic as a noir narrator, and the artwork is amazing. I felt that the art style was especially effective because it helps immediately establish character personalities--the criminals are rats and scaly creatures, the sheriff is a border collie, etc. I also tend to find that in noir movies or comics all the characters tend to look the same (all the men are square-jawed and serious, the women attractive and curvy) and the style of  Blacksad helped prevent this from happening for me. Guarnido also does a fantastic job at using different shot angles and engaging acting within the panels. I enjoy this kind of visual storytelling much more than flatt

Legitimization of Comics: Maus

This week I read Maus  by Art Speigelman, a graphic novel in which Speigelman interviews his father about his experiences as a Holocaust survivor. One thing that struck me about Maus was how raw and unedited it felt. It feels like Speigelman didn't leave anything out in his interactions with his father--where many documentaries or other kinds of interviewing would portray a Holocaust survivor in the best way possible, Speigelman shows what feels like every minor quibble and annoyance between he and his father, like his father's habit of putting down Speigelman's mother. Speigelman does this within the Holocaust story as well-he doesn't cut out any of the minor events in favor of more important ones, he just tells it like it happened. I appreciate Speigelman's honesty with this style of storytelling in Maus , but I cannot tell whether I enjoyed it or not--it was honest, yes, but felt unnecessary at times. One thing I definitely enjoyed about Maus was the c